LJ 2008-08-07 20:27:00

Aug 7th, 2008 | Filed under LiveJournal Import

Would you do meth if it was legalized?
Christ no, absolutely not. Hyper-addictive destructive drugs aren’t really my bag..

Are you for or against abortion?
In general, against, y’know, it’s not exactly meant to be a hobby or something.. But I’m far more in favour of a woman’s right to choose, and all that stuff, so I believe it should still be legal.

Would the United States fall with a woman president?
Uh, no. What kind of stupid question is that?

Do you believe in the death penalty?
In as much as I believe that it exists, yes. But I wouldn’t ever consider living somewhere where the death penalty was actually used. I can think of, like, a billion reasons why it’s entirely inhuman.

Do you wish marijuana would be legalized already?
Nah, I think that the current level (where you can do it, just try not to make it too obvious) is just fine.. I don’t think anybody seems to be complaining about it..

Do you believe in God?
Yes, but not the same one that other people seem to believe in.. Mine is a lot cooler, more laid back, and likes to leave me hints on a regular basis.

Do you think same sex marriage should be legalized?
It is, and I’m fine with that.

Do you think its wrong that so many Hispanics are moving to the USA?
Um.. no? Who does? Is this survey supposed to expose the f’ktards on the Internet?

A twelve year old girl has a baby…should she keep it?
I don’t see why not, so long as the child can be cared for properly..

Should the alcohol age be lowered to 18?
That’s where it already is, you US-centric twit

Assisted suicide is illegal…do you agree?
No, sometimes the humane thing to do is euthanise, and humane decisions ought not be illegal

Do you believe in spanking your children?
Depends.. A corrective smack can sometimes be the most appropriate way to discipline an especially unruly child, but I’ve seen too many people on the Internet with stories of angry beatings described as “spanking”. That’s not on.

Would you burn an American flag for a million dollars?
I’d do it for free if you really asked, I don’t see the problem.

A mother is declared innocent after murdering her 5 children in a temporary insanity case, do you agree?
Who am I to say that a decision reached by a jury following a comprehensive trial is wrong? I don’t see how society could possibly benefit from jailing such a person.

Are you afraid others will judge you from reading some of your answers?
Even if I cared what others think, probably not. I’d like to think that, generally, I’m a reasonable person.

Tags: ,
  1. Kaya
    Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:33
      Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:37

I’m confused – where did you get that quote? It’s not in my actual post :o)

• Kaya
        Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:42

So many of my new friends had filled out this survey that I got confused, hah. sorry!

Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:43

I thought that might be the case :o)

• Kaya
            Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:44
            Quote | #5

I’m just being a little slow tonight. FYI, though, I agree with a lot of your answers, especially the one about assisted suicide.

Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:45
            Quote | #6

Well, like I said, I’m a reasonable guy.. Anybody who disagrees is therefore unreasonable ;o)

2. merlinwon
    Aug 7th, 2008 at 19:40

Good Answers!! :)

3. Jasna
    Aug 7th, 2008 at 20:33

haha, I was reading someone else’s answers to the quiz and thinking they were yours, and I thought, man, James is a lot different than I thought. But no, your answers were pretty much as expected.

I’m curious about the spanking bit – what do you define spanking as? I think a quick slap right in the moment that the child is doing something wrong is okay, and I don’t define it as spanking, but anything more than that is spanking and thereby wrong, IMO. If you’re at the grocery store and your kid starts screaming for candy, it’s hardly the place to reason with them – if a quick slap stops them from screaming, fine. But if you get home and THEN decide to slap them (or worse) then discipline is clearly not the main factor and the parent, frankly, needs to learn about classical conditioning and reinforcement/punishment. It makes me really wish there were mandatory parenting courses out there.

Aug 7th, 2008 at 20:48

That’s pretty much how I see it..

The two scenarios that I always think of are roughly:

1. If your kid suddenly runs out into the street while out on a walk with you, then it’s important for them to be emphatically told that this is a really bad thing to do, very quickly. In these cases, a quick smack on the bottom is fine.

2. Your elder son is hitting your younger son, and you give him a quick smack on the bottom to say no. The use of a physical punishment should (ideally) serve as a very appropriate demonstration as to how rubbish it is to be on the receiving end of violence, and again, it’s a very emphatic way of saying “no”.

I think it has to be an immediate thing, and done as a corrective measure not out of anger or any sort of aggression. If you’re not in a calm, rational mood, then just don’t smack your kid, it’s just not the time. And saving it up for later is just crap, the kid is going to wait in fear for their punishment, and that doesn’t help at all. Kids shouldn’t live in fear of their parents.

• lapenn
        Aug 8th, 2008 at 02:39

re: #2

my older brother and I used to get into verbal fights, and it would typically end with my older brother punching me. As we got older, it got pretty bad. One day, my dad caught him at this, and he lifted my brother up against the wall to yell at him.

Suffice to say that my older brother never hit me again. Definitely a fitting punishment, since talking it out had not previously worked.

4. Max
    Aug 7th, 2008 at 23:01

Wow, this survey looks like it was written by a 14 year old in the US, who looks like s/he’s trying to stir up conservative/liberals against each other. Heh.

5. Marcio
    Aug 7th, 2008 at 23:45

Hum.

I don’t think I’ll even try to aswer this meme. I’ll just post a link to this and say they are mine. We have very similar views in those subjects.

6. redvard
    Aug 8th, 2008 at 06:36

you’re at least interesting person, dude.
    Added in a friend list