LJ 2008-09-16 08:51:00

Sep 16th, 2008 | Filed under LiveJournal Import

Stuff like this inevitably winds me up.. There’s something fundamentally wrong with the American psyche when it comes to taking important things seriously..

“She says it like it is”
“I think she has strong moral values”
“She’s doing great things, supporting her church and supporting her family”

Does any of this really qualify her for anything?

In order to become president, you must be at least thirty five years old. It seems fair to say that this was a question of maturity, and experience. If accounts in the press are to be believed, Sarah Palin abuses her power in order to hold vindictive grudges against political opponents. This does not strike me as mature. Nor has her sheltered life in Alaska really prepared her with experience either.

It just seems to me that rather than being at least thirty five years old, you should be able to demonstrate the judgement and political experience of a typical thirty five year old politician. In this regard, I think she fails quite dramatically.

What bothers me is that huge chunks of the voting public of the USA don’t actually recognise this, or find it entirely irrelevant when electing a potential future president.

1. Marcio
    Sep 16th, 2008 at 09:59

hear hear.

2. lapenn
    Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:56

believe me, this bothers us too. even more galling is some news I saw yesterday (on cnn, so slightly conservative) — apparently, Palin has a 63% favorable rating with men and a 52% with women (or something quite close to that).

wtf???

Many people are right in saying that Obama needs to refocus the campaign — he needs to beat McCain and not Palin. And, seriously, I’ll shit a brick if our country elects someone as divisive as Palin. It’s one thing to have different opinions and policy than me. It’s another thing to be an attack dog that goes against anyone who won’t toe your line.

3. Liza
    Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:30

Americans are fucked up?

Yesterday some lady at the Republican rally for Hispanics that they held in Florida said that she was her ‘kind of girl’ because she was a professional and a mother.

Gag.

4. Dale
    Sep 16th, 2008 at 14:14

I think the big issue is that there has always been a serious strain of anti-intellectual populism in the United States. It used to be that this anti-intellectual populism existed on the left but really drifted on the right and has stayed there.

America is supposed to be the party of the common man. And people should be appointed to high office regardless of their level of educations and qualifications. The Republican party has run successfully many times by assaulting “Ivy-League elitists” and “wine and cheese eating costal elites” Never mind that many of their own politicians and other high-end officials come from the Ivy League and are more likely to enjoy wine and cheese than Bud and pork rinds.

But to listen to Republican radio is to hear universities damned as being nothing more than playgrounds and dens for overeducation. Where the honest thought of simple folk gets damned.

Sarah Palin really appeals to this anti-intellectualism. She is from a far western state where it is still possible to live a good life and only do manual labor. Alaska because of their large amount of federal aid/pork, oil revenue, and negative income tax make it possible for to be a kind of blue-collar haven for those who can stand the winters. It is appeals to people with a rugged fantasy life.

Obama often gets criticized for his professorial manner and his weigh of thinking about an issue with out really making a bold declarative statement. Bill Clinton noted that Americans prefer “strong and wrong” to “right and silent” or something like that. He also gets mocked for being fussy because he does not eat ice cream or sweets and tries to stay ultra-slim.

All this kind of stuff really seems to piss off a lot of Americans. They get very defensive and say “what you think you are better than me.”

Sarah Palin also kind of says “if she can get picked to be vice-president, so can I.” After all, she started out as a member of the PTA. Lots of moms belong to the PTA.

Now you probably think I’m being bias and don’t know how Republicans think ;)

• lapenn
      Sep 16th, 2008 at 16:43

this.

I think that there is both a strong anti-intellectual bias and an anti-homosexual bias in the US, and both of these lead toward our preference for the beer swillin’, gun totin’, God blessin’ kind of male. But not too God blessin’ — just enough sos you know he ain’t a queer. It continues to bother me that people in small towns vote for the people they think are like them rather than voting for the people that will actually help them. I wish people would understand that the Dems actually HELP their monetary situation.

I also think the recent SNL skit (Palin/Clinton) summed up a huge chunk of what is wrong in America.

5. Tiffany
    Sep 16th, 2008 at 17:37

well they are trying to find something agreeable about her… because her politics and everything she stands for is shit.

• Dale
      Sep 16th, 2008 at 18:44

It’s the Vice Presidency as American Idol or US Weekly.

Politicians, they are just like us.

Though the same can be said for my support of Obama. He is probably more similar to me than McCain and Palin in terms of not only belief but lifestyle and entertainment choices.