LJ 2008-12-05 13:43:00

Dec 5th, 2008 | Filed under LiveJournal Import
  1. Amanda
    Dec 5th, 2008 at 14:02

That is the best news I’ve heard all day! I have always hated those dolls! Hooray for there being one less horrible influence on my daughter in the world.

2. Dale
    Dec 5th, 2008 at 14:03

I care in the fact that I think copyright law runs absurdly rampant in the United States.

Dec 5th, 2008 at 14:11

I don’t think that this is an example – the guy was working for Barbie when he came up with the idea, developed on Mattel’s time.

Also:

Carter Bryant based drawings on children he saw walking from school

If that is how he perceived children to look, then he probably needs to be sent to some sort of therapist…

• plainoljane
      Dec 5th, 2008 at 17:39

Yeah, but this case is an absolutely ridiculous application of the employment rule. There’s a difference, in my humble (hah!) legal opinion, between making something while being employed by a company and in the course of that employment.

If the idea was conceived of outside the regular employment duties, the employer should have no right to any fruit it bears.

• Duane
        Dec 5th, 2008 at 18:11

Wouldn’t that depend on the terms the employee agreed to?

• plainoljane
          Dec 5th, 2008 at 18:15

I suppose it would, but if I were his lawyer I’d try to make an argument that the employer cannot contract with the employee about things that take place beyond the course of normal work duties in an employment contract. (Actually, I think there’s something in our Copyright Act in Canada about that anyway… but I could be mistaken. I’m also pretty sure that there is case law about this rule from my Contracts class, but since that exam is over I refuse to think about it much more than this. Heh.)

3. Mike
    Dec 5th, 2008 at 14:34

Oh man, my collection is going to skyrocket in value.

4. Duane
    Dec 5th, 2008 at 15:59

Score!

I mean, I’m not wild about Barbie either, but at least one damaging doll is gonna be off shelves.

5. Kaya
    Dec 5th, 2008 at 16:59

NO. I think Bratz are disgusting. My nine-year-old cousin now can’t go anywhere without her make-up, I mean, wtf?